- 2 bunches kale, center ribs and stems removed, washed, dried, and chopped finely
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup peach or apricot preserves
- 1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2tablespoons Freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 cup Puy or beluga lentils, (substitute brown lentils if they’re what you have), rinsed and picked over
- 1 cup red cabbage, shredded
- Whisk together olive oil, preserves, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, sea salt, and black pepper.
- Turn kale into a large mixing bowl, and massage 6 T of the dressing into the salad. You’ll need enough dressing for the salad to be well coated and start taking on a “wilted” texture. Set aside.
- Place lentils in a small saucepan with enough water to cover them by 3-4 inches (approximately 2 1/2 cups). Bring water to a boil, then reduce heat, add a pinch of salt, and let the lentils simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until the lentils are tender but not mushy.
- Allow lentils to cool slightly and add them, along with the cabbage, to the kale, and add another 2 T vinaigrette. Use hands to combine. Add extra dressing as needed, and season to taste.
Slightly adapted from FOOD52 “Raw Kale Salad with Lentils and Sweet Apricot Vinaigrette”